tartaric acid

Does anyone know of sources to by tartaric acid? I thought it was the same as cream of tartar, but sadly it isn't.
Thanks everyone.

asked by ChrisBird almost 7 years ago

usuba dashi

Tartaric acid can be cream of tartar when naturally derived from wine. If you have ever seen hard tasteless, crystals in a bottle of wine, especially whites, is most likely the tartaric acid that has fallen out from the wine, usually from temperature fluctuation or age. I organic production, only tartaric acid, or cream of tartar can be derived from organic wine (chipped out of the fermentation vats in vast amounts . . not a fun job). Commercial cream of tartar is chemically derived.

bigpan

What are you using it for? If to stabilize egg whites, consider using a copper bowl.

ChrisBird

I wish to make my own mascarpone - and i have a fabulous lemon dessert recipe but want to try making it using a non-citrus based acid with some less traditional flavourings - like pink peppercorns.
Potassium bitartrate (the hydrogen salt of potassium and tartaric acid aka cream of tartar) isnt suitable unfortunately.

nutcakes

Have you check homebrew and winemaking shops if you have any in your area? Otherwise you can order it on Amazon, there are a couple of sellers.

nutcakes

Becareful of mislabeling there as well.

ChrisBird

Thanks nutcakes. Good suggestions.

nutcakes

Here's one link
http://www.amazon.com/Tartaric-Acid-4oz/dp/B0064OLZ1Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_gro_2

Ophelia

http://www.cellar-homebrew.com/store/product.php?productid=984&cat=0&page=1

A lot of brewing places also sell cheese making supplies.