I made sea salt caramels last night and they did not turn golden brown and were stickier than I would have liked. Where did I go wrong?

I followed the recipe exactly--however, I think the recipe left out that the sugar/corn syrup/water mixture should turn golden brown and that I need to cook it with the cream for longer if I want harder caramels.

asked by rldougherty almost 7 years ago

Did your recipe give you a temperature to cook the caramel to? If not, that might have helped because getting caramel right has a lot to do with temperature. Here is a great, detailed and photo-filled recipe for making sea salt caramels by David Lebovitz. He includes temperatures and lots of tips: http://www.davidlebovitz...