🔕 🔔

Substitution for light corn syrup? Making a caramel with 2c gran sugar and I'm 1/4 cup short of the 1/2c light corn syrup I need. Should I just reduce the amount of sugar? Recipe also has cream and butter. Thanks

asked by lallimusic over 6 years ago

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

I make a caramel with honey and/or Lyle's Golden Syrup. I would try either one as a sub for the corn syrup.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

It sounds like you don't want to run to the store, so you could make a "simple syrup" which is equal parts sugar and water. Or substitute honey if you have that, but maybe not a full quarter cup.

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

The corn syrup adds sweetness, shine, and flow characteristics to the caramel, so i'd use the 1/4 cup you have and make up the difference with honey.