Pierogi

I've lost touch with a friend whose Croation Grandmother made a type of pierogi which she called "little cigarettes" because they were rolled, full of a mild cheese and baked with a lot of butter. Does anyone have a recipe? I've searched high and low to no avail. These were melt in your mouth delicious!

Droplet
Droplet December 17, 2011

I don't have an answer for you but the food writer for the St Louis Post Dispatch runs a column of sorts that is dedicated to lost and found recipes. If you e-mail her, with some patience you might get a good one if not the exact same one. I've seen quite a few found recipes on there. Her name is JudithEvans.

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen December 17, 2011

Thanks so much Droplet...I'll try that..in the meantime I'll start experimenting!!

susan g December 17, 2011

Here's an uninformed guess... In The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas, there is something called 'leniwe pierogi.' it is made with cottage cheese, egge, flour, and garnished with bread crumbs and melted butter. She says the are traditionally rolled out and cut in parallelograms, but she prefers to make them like boiled dumplings. Thomas was originally Polish, so this might be in the right direction.

amysarah December 17, 2011

Just a guess too, but in Hungary (Croatia's neighbor) palacsinta, a sort of crepe, are very traditional. They can be rolled or folded, with a mild cottage-cheese-like filling, or fruit/jam, etc. Very similar to blintzes, but my Hungarian grandmother's were more delicate - though bigger than 'cigarettes,' maybe more the size of fat cigar. She drizzled them with melted butter too. Really delicious.

Lots of eastern european countries have variations of the same dish, so maybe you're thinking of the Croatian version?

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen December 21, 2011

Thanks everyone for your input...I think I'm going to play around with a recipe I found for Strukli which seems to have most of the ingredients I'm looking for, but just rolled differently.