Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

Pierogi

I've lost touch with a friend whose Croation Grandmother made a type of pierogi which she called "little cigarettes" because they were rolled, full of a mild cheese and baked with a lot of butter. Does anyone have a recipe? I've searched high and low to no avail. These were melt in your mouth delicious!

Pat is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 5 years ago
7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I don't have an answer for you but the food writer for the St Louis Post Dispatch runs a column of sorts that is dedicated to lost and found recipes. If you e-mail her, with some patience you might get a good one if not the exact same one. I've seen quite a few found recipes on there. Her name is JudithEvans.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Thanks so much Droplet...I'll try that..in the meantime I'll start experimenting!!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Here's an uninformed guess... In The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas, there is something called 'leniwe pierogi.' it is made with cottage cheese, egge, flour, and garnished with bread crumbs and melted butter. She says the are traditionally rolled out and cut in parallelograms, but she prefers to make them like boiled dumplings. Thomas was originally Polish, so this might be in the right direction.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Just a guess too, but in Hungary (Croatia's neighbor) palacsinta, a sort of crepe, are very traditional. They can be rolled or folded, with a mild cottage-cheese-like filling, or fruit/jam, etc. Very similar to blintzes, but my Hungarian grandmother's were more delicate - though bigger than 'cigarettes,' maybe more the size of fat cigar. She drizzled them with melted butter too. Really delicious.

Lots of eastern european countries have variations of the same dish, so maybe you're thinking of the Croatian version?

inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Thanks everyone for your input...I think I'm going to play around with a recipe I found for Strukli which seems to have most of the ingredients I'm looking for, but just rolled differently.