Speaking of roast beef...

For Christmas I usually do either a prime rib or tenderloin. But this year I’m inclined to make a roast that doesn't conflict as much with my other seasonal tradition - tuition payment panic.

So, are there any less costly cuts (of beef) you think work particularly well roasted? Not a braise or pot roast - a classic roast beef type roast beef. Understanding it may not be quite as tender/perfect as a prime rib, ribeye roast or tenderloin – which do you think is next best?

asked almost 7 years ago

cookinginvictoria

What about wssmom's Stuffed Eye Round Roast? http://www.food52.com/recipes... I haven't made this recipe yet, but I plan to do so soon. It sounds really wonderful with the arugula and bacon stuffing.

I've always thought of eye round as tough, but that looks really good. Maybe keeping it rare ('tubular' shaped cuts are easier to roast evenly throughout) and slicing thin, as wssmom does, is the key. Also, I bet beyond adding flavor, the bacon helps keep the meat moist too - like larding a roast.

Since I can't help but tinker, I'm wondering if a marinade (that includes an acidic element) before stuffing -or just adding a little balsamic vinegar to the stuffing itself - might help tenderize the meat too.

Definitely one to consider - thanks!

bigpan

Maybe consider a different meat ... perhaps a stuffed pork loin.

Yes, I am - a bone-in pork loin is my backup plan (i.e., 'rack of pork', if I want it to sound more frou-frou.)

But I make pork roasts quite often, so wanted to stick with roast beef, which is a rarer occurrence and also associated with Christmas dinner for my family.