Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Why is my blueberry pie watery? I followed the recipe

asked by Cannizzo about 5 years ago
67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

Can you tell is a bit more about the filling and it's ingredients? For example, did you thaw blueberries or use fresh? If you thawed them, did you put the blueberries in the filling with their juice, too? Or drain off the juice?

What is the thickening agent (ie, corn starch, tapioca, flour)? How much sugar? Did the recipe call for lemon juice?

I'd hazard that there was likely not enough thickening agent. Is this a precooked filling?

Some berries, if they have been frozen for a long time, react with the thickener such that they will not thicken correctly with the usual amount of thickening agent. I know this can occur with juicier berries than blueberries--such as Marionberries and blackberries. You may need an instant thickener such as Instant Clear-gelfor older berries.

I used fresh blueberries and the thickner the recipe called for I think it was starch.the pie was expensive it was a recipe from the food network app I followed it to a tee and we had to throw it out out

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.