2 (!) new cookbooks from Food52—comin' atchya. Shop the presale »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Wicked Brittle

6c5c1958 62d1 4d3d b360 3c0ecd80e5e4  img 5172

I have a question about the recipe "Wicked Brittle" from gingerroot. I don't have a candy thermometer. Is there a visual cue or some other way to know if the brittle is ready for the baking soda?

asked by clintonhillbilly about 5 years ago
27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Periodically test the hot sugar mixture by dripping some into a glass of ice water. If the droplet holds together and sinks to the bottom, fish it out and see how solid it is. It does take a while for it to get to the "hard crack" stage--which I am assuming the brittle recipe calls for...but I have never tested for this without a thermometer so I don't know all the subtleties of what it should feel/look like. I bet you could look it up!

Sorry I'm not more help.

The other rules: Use plenty of ice water for the test, but the candy shouldn't touch any ice. Use a clean, dry spoon for every test. I found a stack iced tea spoons are perfect. Test before you think it's done. Knowing what the soft ball and hard ball stages feel like will help you know the soft and hard crack stages are.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.