FIRST LOOK AT AMANDA AND MERRILL'S NEW COOKBOOK! PRE-ORDER YOUR SIGNED COPY »
🔕 🔔

Baking dork question here....I'm pretty green at this whole baking gig. I have a recipe I want to make, in this case for biscuits, that calls for mostly AP flour, and a marginal amount of whole-wheat four, which I don't have, I want to sub out the WW with AP. Do I just use it at a 1 to 1 ratio (i.e, recipe says 1/4C WW, do I replace with 1/4C AP....or?

And how about in breads? I have a few bread recipes that also call for whole wheat flour, which, due to limited storage space and VERY infrequent use, I'd prefer not to stock. Is the replacement in breads also 1 to 1, or.....

TIA !!!!!

asked by RobertaJ almost 6 years ago
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Thanks for your great question -- for a small amount like 1/4 cup, I'd do 1 to 1. For larger amounts, I'l let someone else answer!

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

It sounds like you're considering several recipes that require WW flour. If that's the case, it really would be worth your while to go ahead and buy some (If you seal WW flour in a ziploc bag and store it in the freezer, it keeps for 6 months to 1 year. Not bad). My fear would be that the textures of your finished products would suffer if you sub too much. Whole wheat flour is heavier than all-purpose, and recipes using WW flour have often accommodated other ingredients to suit the WW flour - different kinds of liquids/fats, more leavening, that kind of thing.

I'd say your best bet for success would be to either 1) go ahead and buy some WW flour, or 2) use recipes that use all-purpose, if that's what you prefer to keep on hand. Having said that, though - if you sub AP for WW and get great results, report back! Always good to know.

(Another quick note - if you're planning to bake yeast breads, you'll get better results if you use bread flour instead of AP. See? The flour-choosing craziness never ends!) :)

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Whole wheat flour has a higher protein content (15-16%) than AP flour (10-12%). You should be able to do a one to one substitution. Your end product maybe slightly less chewy as you will get less gluten development. I would think for biscuits less chew would be just fine.

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

for the biscuits, using all al-purpose wouldn't make a difference substituting 1 to 1. if you are making bread, i echo the recommendation to use a recipe that uses 100% all-purpose.

whole wheat flour is fairly easy to find in bulk so you can buy just what you need if you are hesitant to buy a larger bag of it.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I'm not much of yeast bread baker -- I generally stick to simple white yeast breads -- but I've made biscuits on a regular basis for the last 50 years (yes, I started young), and never used whole wheat flour. So don't sweat it in the biscuits. If you want a top-notch white yeast bread recipe that's easy -- albeit it does bake up a quite soft bread, or rolls -- let me know and I'll send it to you. I'll be making it myself, for Thanksgiving dinner rolls, in a couple of weeks!

8bbce907 3b5e 4c8c be5c c64e6c780d63  birthday 2012
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

I think 1:1 for family batch. Encourage u to try the ww because it's delicious and healthy when used wisely. Still like pancakes with white flour and can't yet abide whole wheat pasta, tho.

Fe759e32 f945 40b6 acea 9486c52f49b0  moi

I agree with the 1:1 answer. WW flour absorbs more water than AP flour because it is coarser and has the bran in it, but for the most part, AP sub should work with just about anything.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I think you'll be safe with the biscuits if you use all AP flour.

For other recipes though, be careful with the liquid measurements, because as other people have mentioned, the whole wheat flour absorbs more liquid than the regular AP. So if you use all AP in a recipe that calls for whole wheat, you may end up with a wetter batter/dough.