Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about Beef Marrow Bones.

I've never made beef marrow bones but will be picking some up tomorrow for NYE. I haven't seen the product and don't have any marrow spoons.
Should I ask the butcher to cut them laterally if they're long? Or Cut into 2 inch high cylinders and use a cocktail fork?
What's the best method of cooking and seasoning them? Heat and time?

asked almost 5 years ago
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Sam, here's a recipe from Fergus Henderson -- I've made it several times; the salad is key, sharpens up the whole dish. It calls for 2-inch cylinders but you could go either way. I find a dinner knife or espresso spoon works well for getting out the marrow, but if you don't have either then have the butcher cut them laterally and simply roast them for few minutes less. http://www.nytimes.com...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Excellent. I didn't think of using a parsley salad as a garnish with the marrow and toast; and that sounds great!
Now, I'll have to ask if they have veal marrow bones tomorrow.

We're also having crab legs (or lobster) and making eggs Benedict for the morning. I think I may have to up the Lipitor dose for New Years.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

Sounds really delish Sam, some of my favorite foods.