🔕 🔔

I can not seem to find a good recipe for jalapino poppers. Any one?

asked by Martin69 about 6 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Now why would you want to eat such a thing? Oh well, here goes; buy big fat, fresh jalapeno peppers. Slice off the stem end and scrape out the seeds. Make a light batter of all purpose flour, egg, salt and a splash of club soda. Mix well. Take a loaf of Philadelphia cream cheese and slice it into pieces that will fit into the jalapenos. Meanwhile get some hot cooking oil going in like a deep cast iron pot (or other such device). Drop the poppers into the oil (at about 375 degrees), stand back and drain on paper towel. Turn on the game.

10e51050 649e 4a85 8af7 2b896997a1c4  image rcfbkcspubjytgbefpoq lrg

I've done this recipe http://www.food52.com/recipes... with Jalepenos, it's delish!

Efd725c4 24ec 436a 9adb bc31157de14b  mejan08

I was a Navy recruiter in Las Cruces, NM for 3 1/2 years, got to eat fresh Hatch chilies a lot. But they are not hot enough for me, I prefer my fresh jalapino's, so I may try this with them. Thanks!

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

I have made grown men cry with this recipe:

Put about a cup of Bisquick into a bowl. Pour in enough beer (I use regular-strength Budweiser) to make a thick but not doughy batter--you don't want it thin enough to drip off the peppers, but you don't want it thick like bread dough, either--and set the batter aside while you prepare the peppers. (A beer and Bisquick batter also works for fish, mushrooms, zucchini--your typical bar food.)

Wash some jalapenos. Cut them in half lengthwise, through the stem, so that each half has a handle on it. Do not remove the seeds or the ribs. Get some Velveeta or real American cheese (not the singles individually wrapped in plastic film). Pack the cheese into the jalapenos. You can substitute cream cheese, but cream cheese dulls the heat more than yellow cheese does. A gruyere would probably work, but don't use any kind of cheddar, especially aged cheddar, because you'll end up with a greasy blob instead of a creamy, melty blob of all-American cheesy goodness.

In a skillet, heat an inch of vegetable oil to 375 degrees. Holding the peppers by the stem, dip them into the batter. Place cheese side down into the oil, let brown, then turn and let the pepper side get brown. Drain on paper towels for a minute, then move them to a wire rack so that they don't get soggy.

The peppers will be slightly crunchy, not soft like the store-bought kind--if you want soft peppers, cut them in half, place them on a cookie sheet and let them freeze solid. Fill, dip and fry them while they're still frozen.

If you tell anyone on this site that I buy Velveeta and Bisquick, I swear, I'll never speak to you again!

I will give this a try! Thank you very much. Oh, I your secret is safe with me. Any other ways you make us big strong men cry? ;-)
Martin