🔕 🔔

Can you microwave sweet potatoes?

asked by briecheese over 5 years ago

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Yes you can. Just the same way you do any other potatoes.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I have a friend that does, she pricks with a fork and wraps them in a natural (no chemical additives) paper towel. I prefer to roast in the oven you get that lovely caramelization when you do and they are so soft.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I have, in a time pinch, ... I peel, chop into cubes, put in dish, cover with plastic, punch a hole in it. and cook. You can also toss with some cumin or other spices (cinnamon etc). Just like roasting in the oven, you can finish by pan frying to get a crunch on the outside. Over nuking anything will turn them into rubber...I use only to parcook.

07ee6775 4f67 4ff5 aa78 ae7249feebc7  image003

Yes, I just prick them and wave them. Sometimes I cut them into inch thick slices and roast the slices in an oiled cast iron skillet in a very hot oven, flipping them about halfway through.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Like Homemadecornbread, I'm happy with whole sweet potatoes from the microwave. Important not to overcook them! I find it works to my liking with the deep orange, moist ones. I have found that Asian white sweet potatoes are not moist enough and disappointing -- I'll use another method for them.

2b608aab 0869 4ef2 86e4 af3ae3a24cf2  big grapefruit

I do all the time! Prick all over and microwave about 7-9 min until soft. Turn them over once. I use this method before making sweet potato gnocchi or sweet potato bisque or mashed sweet potatos. Skin peels off easily if it's not needed.