🔕 🔔

How do I substitute fresh yeast for dry yeast when making pizza dough?

asked by Kanika over 5 years ago

Depending on how much flour you are using I usually go for two teaspoons of dry yeast for two cups of flour mix in warm water let stand for a few minutes. I use my food processor so I do my yeast only in about 1/4 cup of warm water I added to the flour in the food processor wile running and add more warm water as needed a little at a time. Besides the flour I also put in 3 tablespoons of olive oil 1/4 teaspoon of salt 1/2 teaspoon of sugar I pulse this with the flour then I start adding my yeast and more water till the dough cleans sides of processor and I always use bread flour

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

I respect my friend Cannizzo on pizza because he's from Napoli the home of pizza, but I'm going to disagree here; if you are using "fresh yeast" like say brewers yeast you need to be careful. I use a stand mixer as opposed to a food processor (too much heat) to introduce the yeast into the dough. Proof the yeast first by putting it in warm water (as Cannizzo say's) and then make your dough. It doesn't take much yeast to make a big, ball of gluteny dough. But it really depends on how much dough you intend to make. Ratios are important. I use high gluten flour and give the dough an overnight rest.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I had a similar question a while back. http://www.food52.com/hotline...

For my pizza recipe using 11 ounces (sorry don't know gram weight) or about 2 1/2 cups of King Arthur all-purpose, I'll use either 3/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast, or when I have fresh yeast, I use a dime-size ball (approximately 3 grams) of fresh yeast dissolved in warm water. turns out great either way, with a slight edge given to the fresh yeast pie. Tasted better, something I don't think average pizza consumer would pick up on - just us pizza obsessives.

I respect your answer Pierino but the question was to use dry yeast instead of fresh and bread flour is high gluden flour but I do agree overnight is good if you have the time the longer the dough rests the better