🔕 🔔

a question about fresh yeast

I bought a 1 pound block of fresh yeast. I want to portion it out into smaller pieces and freeze it. What's the equivalent measurement to active dry yeast??

asked by mrslarkin over 6 years ago

If a recipe calls for an ounce of active dry yeast, 60% more of fresh yeast. In breads, the ration of fresh yeast to flour is 1/2 ounce to 18 ounces of flour. Does that help?

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I'm not of the exact measurements.
But here's something that might be helpful when you find out.

A Gram Weight Scale:
http://www.amazon.com/gp...

Cheap, and if you want to measure things in small amounts; essential because larger digital are kinda of 'fuzzy' on gram weights.

Here's a recipe using fresh yeast and weights for no-kneed bread.
http://blog.khymos.org...

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

thanks guys!

So today I experimented with my pizza dough. One batch I used active dry yeast, and the other I used a dime-sized ball of fresh yeast. Both doughs rose equally well. In terms of taste, wasn't able to notice a huge difference, as I was hungry and scarfed it down, but I think I preferred the fresh yeast pie. It'll be fun playing around with it some more. Here's a picture of fresh yeast pie:

188f6d78 e5ff 49c4 a861 836adc62b522  pizza 014

Just wanted to share this: I'd forgotten that my husband got me this for Christmas, which I like to call the "Geek Spoon": http://www.amazon.com/Admetior... More expensive than the pocket scale, but I'm glad I remembered I had this! The great thing about the spoon is that the spoons are removable for washing.

The dime-sized ball of yeast I used weighed approx. 3 grams.

Mrslarkin. As long as I can remember there has always been a debate among bakers about the flavor of fresh yeast. Although a subtle difference I believe fresh yeast is the best flavor. Especially when making starters for sourdough. Your pizza looks great!

Help! So if I have a bread recipe that calls for 1.2 ounces of fresh yeast, I should use .75 ounce of active dry yeast? The conversion ratios out there seem all over the road on this one . . . . But I trust you all who actually have to implement these conversions from time to time! ;o) P.S. This is for a bread with a fairly short rise cycle, i.e., it won't be proofed overnight (at least this loaf won't). Thanks so much.

Hi AJ. From what I can surmise, for a short rise, I'm pretty sure you'll need more yeast, in general, than what you'd use in a long rise.

According to the Red Star yeast conversion table, your estimates sound about right. http://www.redstaryeast...

Thanks, MrsL. Just doing a reality check here. I'm making the bread tonight, and will report back on the results. ;o)