a question about fresh yeast

I bought a 1 pound block of fresh yeast. I want to portion it out into smaller pieces and freeze it. What's the equivalent measurement to active dry yeast??

asked by mrslarkin over 7 years ago

If a recipe calls for an ounce of active dry yeast, 60% more of fresh yeast. In breads, the ration of fresh yeast to flour is 1/2 ounce to 18 ounces of flour. Does that help?

I'm not of the exact measurements.
But here's something that might be helpful when you find out.

A Gram Weight Scale:
http://www.amazon.com/gp...

Cheap, and if you want to measure things in small amounts; essential because larger digital are kinda of 'fuzzy' on gram weights.

Here's a recipe using fresh yeast and weights for no-kneed bread.
http://blog.khymos.org...

thanks guys!

So today I experimented with my pizza dough. One batch I used active dry yeast, and the other I used a dime-sized ball of fresh yeast. Both doughs rose equally well. In terms of taste, wasn't able to notice a huge difference, as I was hungry and scarfed it down, but I think I preferred the fresh yeast pie. It'll be fun playing around with it some more. Here's a picture of fresh yeast pie:

Just wanted to share this: I'd forgotten that my husband got me this for Christmas, which I like to call the "Geek Spoon": http://www.amazon.com/Admetior... More expensive than the pocket scale, but I'm glad I remembered I had this! The great thing about the spoon is that the spoons are removable for washing.

The dime-sized ball of yeast I used weighed approx. 3 grams.

ChefDaddy

Mrslarkin. As long as I can remember there has always been a debate among bakers about the flavor of fresh yeast. Although a subtle difference I believe fresh yeast is the best flavor. Especially when making starters for sourdough. Your pizza looks great!

Help! So if I have a bread recipe that calls for 1.2 ounces of fresh yeast, I should use .75 ounce of active dry yeast? The conversion ratios out there seem all over the road on this one . . . . But I trust you all who actually have to implement these conversions from time to time! ;o) P.S. This is for a bread with a fairly short rise cycle, i.e., it won't be proofed overnight (at least this loaf won't). Thanks so much.

Hi AJ. From what I can surmise, for a short rise, I'm pretty sure you'll need more yeast, in general, than what you'd use in a long rise.

According to the Red Star yeast conversion table, your estimates sound about right. http://www.redstaryeast...

Thanks, MrsL. Just doing a reality check here. I'm making the bread tonight, and will report back on the results. ;o)