A question about a recipe: Mumbai 'ishtyle' Pao Bhaji

741c36d8 fb8a 486d 9843 523d8c485aef  pav bhaji 2

I plan to make this "Mumbai 'ishtyle' Pao Bhaji" soon, but won't be going to my Indian grocer for a while. How can I make the "pav Bhaji masala" at home? Thanks so much..

asked almost 7 years ago

Panfusine

I've never made my own spice blend, but here's a link to a recipe that seems to include all the ingredients that are listed on the packaging of the commerce blends. hope this helps!
http://indianfood.about.com/od/masalarecipes/r/pavbhajimasala.htm

Panfusine

oops I meant commercial.. drat the spellcheck!

Fabulous! Gosh, that was quick. What's a good substitute for raw mango powder? Sounds like something rather tart . . . what about sumac? Or lime juice added to the dish itself? Thanks so much!! ;o)

Panfusine

Sumac wd be perfect.. (you just answered a niggling doubt of mine about some sumac I picked up from the Union sq holiday market, it was racking my brains to figure out what familiar ingredient it tasted like.. Aamchur! Thank you!!)..Lime juice is squeezed just before eating. it serves as a finishing ingredient in terms of aroma..tartness comes from the tomatoes as well..