🔕 🔔

Baking books for aspiring professional bakers.

I'm trying to start a very small-scale baking business, and I'm looking for recommendations for baking books that are geared toward the professionally-minded. I have several good baking books, but I would like something a bit more practical for my purposes. Thanks in advance!

asked by petitbleu over 4 years ago

The two professional books which I use most in teaching baking and pastry are Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft, published by the Culinary Institute of America; and The Professional Pasty Chef, by Bo Friburg. For excellent instruction specifically in breads, I use The Bread Baker's Apprentice, by Peter Reinhart. What a lovely idea, and best of good luck to you!

"Professional Baking" by Wayne Gisslen is used in bible-like fashion by MANY pastry chefs, as well as many chefs when they need to do pastry.

I used that one when I was in school, and have used it since, but more just as a recipe reference. It's useful if you know what you're doing, so to speak, but it's much shorter on educational information and explanation compared to the other two. Given the fact that she's interested in self-education, I thought those might be a good starting place.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I started a small baking business last year. It took a while, with some months with practically no business, but now it has grown into a full time enterprise. What was useful for me was to have two or three solid products to grow my customer base. I developed the products first, with help from a lot of baking books including the two suggested by Boulangere. I've learned a lot on the baking end- and sometimes there are still disasters. I know you didn't ask for non-baking books, but I have found these two extremely helpful:
Sell Your Specialty Food:
http://www.amazon.com/Sell...

and Craft, Inc
http://www.amazon.com/Craft...

1e78f34c 0999 4079 bd2c c519a9101b4a  stringio

I would say that the bread bible is the best. The explanations are great and it even explains how to do bulk batches if you wanted to. In my opinion, the pro baking books by the CIA are no the best for what it sound like you are looking for. They have bulk recipes but no real insight into the finished product

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

I like all the books by Rose Levy Beranbaum (Cake Bible, Bread Bible, Pastry Bible). She explains the how and the why to ensure the Best taste and results, plus it makes it easy to improvise once you understand the "why". She has been my invaluable source. I highly recommend them.

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

As long as we are mentioning "Bibles" here--the Flavor Bible by karen Page--as you spread your wings and begin looking for creative twists--it is a great confidence booster to try new combinations.

62da2e3c 5d4a 4c43 a2ed feb7f39ad363  with ab

Tartine. Also +1 to the flavor bible, I love that think. If you combine Tartine and the flavor bible, you're golden!