A question about a recipe: Chicken Fried Steak with Sage Gravy

Is there any buttermilk substitute?

• Posted by: Zed
  • January 19, 2012

mtrelaun
mtrelaun January 19, 2012

If you’re looking for a substitute, check thirschfeld’s answer here: http://bit.ly/zl5tlh

Cristina Sciarra
Cristina Sciarra January 19, 2012

Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let it sit for a few minutes. Or, mix 1 cup of plain yogurt with 1 cup of milk.

RobertaJ
RobertaJ January 20, 2012

The acid/milk trick works for baking, but if you want the buttermilk for a marinade (as for chicken) or as part of a sauce, it's not 100% equivalent. For baking, you can also find buttermilk powder (dehydrated buttermilk) that's shelf stable for just about ever. You add it in with your other dry ingredients, and use water for the liquid. But again, isn't going to work for marinating.

Sam1148 January 20, 2012

Yes..But as RobertaJ says the powder product is just fine. In fact it's more 'classic' in the acid balance than cultured buttermilk if you using it for a baking recipe. I will say the powder product should be frozen after opening to prolong its life and activity for baking. It works fine for me for marinating with rehydrating it with milk instead of water and making it a bit thicker (I just use my taste and eyes for that so it's not exact).