My bread is coming out dense and not rising enough ( The second rising. )

I keep it in a warm oven to rise but it never gets high enough the 2nd time. The first time it rises great, I make two loves, punch it down, shape the loves, place them in bread pans & they don't rise enough
They come out after an hour ++ flat on top and very dense.

asked by TBarry1 almost 7 years ago

The Spiced Life

Given the time of year, any chance your kitchen is too cold? Also how old is your yeast?

TBarry1

Thought of that too. That's why I used the oven to raise it in. Yeast is fresh, and I warm everything from the bowl up. HELP!

The Spiced Life

Ooops sorry I missed the warm oven part. Any chance it is too warm, causing yeast to wear itself out so to speak? I would recommend warming the oven and then turning it off.

TBarry1

Good effort but thats how the first 5 or 6 loves perished. I may try & bump the yeast up more, think that will help or am I cursed??

Adam F

I'm a baker and a lot of what I read above and below is myth. The fact that your bread isn't rising is likely down to not enough kneading. Frankly 5 minutes isn't enough. You need to knead your bread for a good 10 minutes making sure you really stretch the dough. Instead of using flour on the surface, use olive oil and really work it. If you don't knead enough you effectively allow the bread to stay dense and when it tries to rise it can't because its fibres won't allow it too, effectively pulling it back down. Do t add more yeast or anything like that, trust the recipe. You'll know the dough is ready to go into a bowl and rise because the dough will be smooth and pliable and shouldn't stick too much. Also another tip is not to use lukewarm water, this is again complete rubbish. Use cold water and your dough will prove more slowly allowing the bread to develop a better flavour. Warm water just causes the dough to rise quickly which is t a good thing. Good bread is worth waiting for.

Any chance you didn't knead it enough before the first rise? Or overkneaded it on the 2nd?

petitbleu

I have to agree with the slow rise technique. I know, I know, it's so appealing to have bread in 3 hours or less, but what you lose in time, you gain in flavor and texture. Use cool water, let it rise at room temp--during the winter, your bread will take longer to rise. In the summer, it will rise more quickly. But so long as your yeast is good, your bread will rise. I also think that a lot of bread recipes call for too much yeast--2 1/4 teaspoons (1 pack) is plenty for 2 loaves. In fact, I prefer to cut the amount of yeast in most recipes and just content myself with a longer rise.

Solene

Hi! :)

I made a tutorial recently to make homemade bread (you can eat it with sweet food as well as any kind of meal), and I use different method to make bread rise:
https://www.youtube.com...

I hope it can help you! :)

Mike Jackson

You missed the entire point. The bread is rising fine on the first rise. It is going flat on the second rise. All of your comments reflect the first rise.