🔕 🔔

when baking and the recipe calls for butter, do use salted or unsalted?

asked by desireekbrown over 5 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Almost always unsalted. An occasional recipe specifies salted.

I would recommend using unsalted butter for all of your cooking, not just your baking. It will allow you to control your seasoning much more accurately.

91d03caa 39b1 4271 a0eb 812478013d08  dsc 0031cropped

Either if the recipe calls for salt. Just use less salt if you're using salted butter. Otherwise, use unsalted and adjust salt later.

E057f656 d59a 41e5 9040 b908d9ba5186  stringio

I always use unsalted, as the salt content can vary from brand to brand. Most recipes I bake with call for unsalted, so unless the recipe calls for salted butter, I would use unsalted.