How do you cook two items at the same time when they require different temperatures?

asked by Jaime Nelson over 6 years ago

Can you let us know what the 2 items and temperatures are -- might be able to help.

Leslie Guyton

Crispy zucchini bites (25 mins at 450) & oven roasted crispy eggplant (18 mins at 375)??

gayles

Cant

bugbitten

It would be good to know what the two items are, Jamie Nelson. Tough to give a "scientific" answer when you don't have enough given info. I don't agree with the idea that it can't work, because I'm faced with doing it all the time.

CatalunaLilith

You probably can't in the same oven. Depending on what the items are you might be able to adjust cooking times to get them to cook in the same over at the same time, or cook one ahead of time and warm it up before serving, but that's all highly dependent of what you're making

Depends on what the items are and how big a temp differential. If it's broad, e.g., one needs 2 hrs at 325, and another 30 min. at 450 - adjusting for simultaneity would be pushing it. However, if it's a narrow temp. spread (e.g., 325 & 350) sometimes you can find a work-around....i.e., split the temp difference, adjusting times proportionately. Alternately, if say a roast needs 2 hrs at 325, and a side 1/2 hr at 350, just turn up the oven during the last 1/2 hour - or better yet, do it while the roast is resting. (Anything that holds well or rests before serving coordinates well that way, unless of course, the 2nd item also needs a long time in the oven.)

Mary Emma Brown

Blueberry and apple pie 425 and 400

I would set the temperature in between -- and the one that was supposed to bake at 400 will finish a little sooner. The temps are so close that I wouldn't worry about it burning or the like.

Diane Hawes

Tater tots at 450 and popcorn chicken 400

Edward Tutins

I'm a big proponent of toaster ovens. Use it when I can, instead of the stove (if possible). I would stick the larger item in the stove, and a smaller item in the toaster oven.

Kelly Ann Brookes

450&350 temperature do you put this on?

bugbitten

I see that it has been six years since my last non-answer, but the question cannot be answered without more specific info. Are you roasting carrots and baking carrot cake? Are you making salmon salami and apple pie? There are answers to be had, but require ingredients, as do we all. Best