CURRENT SEARCH: "Wondra-Flour" what is it? And can you substitute a more common fllour?

I live on the Eastern shore of Maryland and exotic ingredients are very hard to come by!

asked by AnnieHynes over 6 years ago

Susige

http://www.ochef.com/21...

This link should help you determine an adequate substitute.

As Sam noted, it's hardly exotic. It's hard to imagine a chain supermarket that doesn't stock it with other flours. And that's what it is, a superfine flour.

softpunk

I have never heard of it. Maybe it's an American thing?

I think it's primary American. In Canada look for "Instant Flour".According to Yahoo the brand there is "Robin Hood" sold in the canisters.

That's probably the source of Fail for searching for it, your eyes expect bags, and not shaker top tubes.

GiGi26

I am attaching a link for the direction to make your own "Wondra Flour" I have used this method several time when I didn't have any Wondra on hand.

GiGi26

oops... here is the link http://www.food.com/recipe...

I break with the crowd here about wondra subs being 'soft flour'. (okay, maybe in baking, but I never use it for baking, only for coating..it's too expensive). If you rub it between your fingers, you can feel a gritty texture. Not a cornstarch powdery texture. But a a very fine grit texture.

For coating To me it isn't a 'soft flour' but grainy in texture on a fish or chicken and fried (as a light coating).
For that application, I think a very fine grain semolina, mixed with AP flour would mimic very well.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Wondra is made by General Mills under the Gold Medal brand. I prefer this brand over Pillsbury which makes a similar verson.l I keep on hand to use in my popover recipe.

AnnieHynes

Thank you all!

rowenanderson

Its a descriptive slogan that refers to the unique and rare flour brand name. The brand name is not often use however, but the slogans knows it all. If I am not mistaken, but most of the businesses uses terms or taglines instead of names. Usually this site http://eatmywords.com/tips/is-your-name-lame/ is what brought ideas about adding descriptive name.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Here is a pretty nice explanation on how Wondra flour is made -- http://bakingbites.com...

Meredyth Sawyer

In Australia in the 60s, we had an Instant Flour product like this called 'Easy Flo' that you could sprinkle into things. It's been heated to cook the gluten that makes the lumps, so it can be stirred into hot sauces to thicken them and not lump. Sadly, I don't think Easy Flo is available anymore. I wish there was a similar product here but I haven't found one and I don't think Wondra Flour is available here.

Laura Gilbertson

My mother used continental flour when we were young, could that be the substitute for wondra?