🔕 🔔

How do I make Indian chickpea curry have more gravy?

(rather than a paste of onions and tomatoes?)

asked by Nalini Chugani over 5 years ago

A can of coconut milk.

Wholefoods user icon

Add more water, mash some chickpeas and mix well to thicken the sauce. Don't forget to adjust your seasoning. If you are making chhole, then coconut milk is generally not used. But there's nothing to stop you from making it your own either!

Coconut milk isn't really used in dal either, but Vikram Vij uses it in his and it's the best I've ever had.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

If you soak your chickpeas and boil them separately, try adding some of the cooking liquor to the mix. That should add some extra flavor and mass to the party.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I just looked at three different chickpea recipes in an Indian cookbook I have:
the chana masala calls for 2/3 c. vegetable oil plus 2 T. plain yogurt,
the "sweet and sour" chickpeas calls for 1 T. ghee and two chopped tomatoes, and
the chole chaat calls for 2 T. oil and diced tomatoes.
The above are per every cup dried chickpeas.

Wholefoods user icon

@Soft Punk, I come from the western coastal region of India where we add ground coconut and/or coconut milk to dals and greens to make what we call patal bhaji. :-)

Ooh, ground coconut. That sounds delicious!