Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Difference in golden flax seeds and brown

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 5 years ago
516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

The darker flax seed has a bit more omega 3 in it than the golden one. Note that the actual benefit may be slight for most folks as the body does not digest the seeds very well and the most often simply pass through undigested. Crushing the seeds just before use in cooking will release the oils that are the benefit to us. Likewise, flax seed oil is good for you but note it goes very fast and that is why it is sold in the refrigerator section of your market and should be kept in the fridge until expiry date.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Grind flax seeds to sprinkle over salads, put in smoothies, over soups wherever you can. Grind them ahead and store them in your freezer.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

According to the Canadian flax growers association, dark and light seeds are nutritionally the same. When I sold them, a few customers had personal stories claiming that the golden made a difference.
I use them in a daily drink, grinding them in week-supply batches and keeping it in the freezer.