Any suggestions on how to properly dehydrate green beans? When I did them in my dehydrator they came out extremely shriveled. I've seem them in stores that look like the fresh ones, only dehydrated. This is what I was hoping to achieve. No luck
Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)
Are you sure the ones you saw at the store weren't freeze dried?
I have a 5 tray Excalibur dehydrator which is wonderful. I love the intense flavor of dehydrated fruits and vegetables. Green beans are a little different because you have to soak them first.
Instructions for Dehydrating Green Beans:
1. Wash the vegetables
2. Snip off ends and cut into desired length
3. Steam blanch for 4 minutes, then soak in iced water for 4 minutes.
4. Drain the vegetables.
5. Place green beans on a cookie sheet in a single layer and freeze for 45 minutes.
6. Dehydrate green beans at 110F for 24 to 30 hours (depends on the weather where you are and when you do it) until desired crispness.
7. Store dried green beans in a clean, dry, airtight container, in a cool dark location. (Light can cause discoloration)
You can add dried green beans directly to soups and stews… just add a little extra liquid to the recipe.
To rehydrate, soak in cold water for 2 hours, or in hot water for 1 hour.
A friend from Appalachia tells how her family hung strings of beans behind the woodstove to make "leatherbritches beans," which taste amazing, by the way. They are ugly.
Please enter a valid email address.
Well played. You deserve a cookie.
Pickle Anything at a Moment's Notice
A Guide to Cheese Rinds
All About Cooking with Fire
The Ingredient Your Salad Is Missing
Captcha must be verfied
Already have an account?
Don't have an account?
Please check your email for instructions on how to reset your password
Successfully logged out
Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.
(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)
Thanks! We'll email you when it's available again.