I'm going to make Heidi Swanson's Black Pepper Tempeh for dinner (from Super Natural Every Day). What should I serve as a side with it?

I will serve some rice on the side but would like a side dish or perhaps a soup or salad. Here is a blog with the recipe in it: http://documentingourdinner.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/off-the-deep-end/

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles February 12, 2012

Rice pilaf would be nice.

arcane54
arcane54 February 12, 2012

That's a pretty spicy dish and I think rice pilaf would be a wonderful aromatic pairing. I'd add a mildly seasoned vegetable with some "tooth" to it to contrast with the tempeh (which is soft but not as soft as tofu). Consider al dente (but not crunchy) broccoli with a wee bit of sesame oil drizzled over or some steamed cauliflower with sauteed red pepper for color and taste. enjoy! and thanks for the link.

creamtea February 12, 2012

Rice pilaf, as mentioned, but also a refreshing vegetable, or an uncooked shredded cabbage salad with fresh garlic, olive oil, salt, lemon, allowed to sit a bit to soften but still crisp-tender.

susan g February 12, 2012

Color! Texture and crunch! It sounds great but looks uninspiring until it sits in contrast with -- as mentioned above -- something like broccoli and a multi-veg slaw (for instance, http://www.food52.com/recipes...). I always believe that we eat with the eyes first.

Rachel Sanders
Rachel Sanders February 12, 2012

How about sauteed bok choy with toasted sesame seeds?

rapearson
rapearson February 12, 2012

Thanks for your suggestions! The idea of crunchy was just what I needed. I ended up making this ramen-cabbage slaw that went really well with the tempeh dish. The purple cabbage was colorful and of course, crunchy. I like the idea of the crisp-tender broccoli with sesame oil as well. Also, the black pepper tempeh turned out very well! I recommend trying that recipe.