🔕 🔔

I'm going to make Heidi Swanson's Black Pepper Tempeh for dinner (from Super Natural Every Day). What should I serve as a side with it?

I will serve some rice on the side but would like a side dish or perhaps a soup or salad. Here is a blog with the recipe in it: http://documentingourdinner...

asked by rapearson almost 6 years ago

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Rice pilaf would be nice.

That's a pretty spicy dish and I think rice pilaf would be a wonderful aromatic pairing. I'd add a mildly seasoned vegetable with some "tooth" to it to contrast with the tempeh (which is soft but not as soft as tofu). Consider al dente (but not crunchy) broccoli with a wee bit of sesame oil drizzled over or some steamed cauliflower with sauteed red pepper for color and taste. enjoy! and thanks for the link.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Rice pilaf, as mentioned, but also a refreshing vegetable, or an uncooked shredded cabbage salad with fresh garlic, olive oil, salt, lemon, allowed to sit a bit to soften but still crisp-tender.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Color! Texture and crunch! It sounds great but looks uninspiring until it sits in contrast with -- as mentioned above -- something like broccoli and a multi-veg slaw (for instance, http://www.food52.com/recipes...). I always believe that we eat with the eyes first.

3274dd01 68df 403c a7b7 dc04541caaf8  dsc 0102 2

How about sauteed bok choy with toasted sesame seeds?

4005f723 7c30 400e befd 2466083b00cc  open uri20140722 9885 1vabeo4

Thanks for your suggestions! The idea of crunchy was just what I needed. I ended up making this ramen-cabbage slaw that went really well with the tempeh dish. The purple cabbage was colorful and of course, crunchy. I like the idea of the crisp-tender broccoli with sesame oil as well. Also, the black pepper tempeh turned out very well! I recommend trying that recipe.