What is a substitute for corn starch?

asked by LindsayCarin over 6 years ago

What are you making? What we suggest might differ, depending on the dish. ;o)

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Kosher potato starch. You can also use flour to thicken or instant mashed potato flakes.

Rachel Sanders

Tapioca flour and arrowroot could be subbed depending on what you're making; I often use tapioca flour in place of cornstarch when baking a fruit pie.

Ophelia

I almost always use arrowroot. It's almost always available in bulk at the grocery store (with the spices) and substitutes 1:1 for corn starch. Tapioca powder works too, but is more expensive and I find that it has more of a tendency to clump.