Can I use a 9 in gratin dish instead of 2 5 1/2 gratin dishes?

I am making a clafoutis. The original recipe uses 2 5 1/2 oval gratin dishes. Since I don't have any small, individual sized dishes, I am using one larger dish that measures 9 in in width. Will this work out ok? Here is the ingredient list to give you an idea on the recipe's volume:
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup sugar (and a little more for ramekin)
1 large egg
6 tablespoons half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup raspberries

If the volume is too low for the pan, should i double the recipe? Or, would an 8 in cake pan be better?

Thank you!!!

asked by thepuffin over 6 years ago

Miranda Rake
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

My bet would be that it would work out just fine, however I would watch it while it bakes really really closely just to be sure that it doesn't burn/gets cooked all the way through. I always get nervous when I use a different size pan that it may alter the way that things bake, so just watch it. Good luck!