🔕 🔔

rethinking chocolate cupcake recipe

I was comparing the cake recipe I initially intended on using for cupcakes with a very similar martha stewart recipe intended for cupcakes. The latter had more baking powder and soda, which got me thinking that I might be better off going with it. The only thing is, the cake recipe, which i had wanted to use, incorporates chocolate into the batter, as opposed to just cocoa. Do you think I can add chocolate to teh cupcake recipe without altering the final product, or should I just stick with one recipe as opposed to merging the two?

Cupcake Recipe:

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons safflower oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

asked by ATG117 over 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I play with baking recipes all the time--sometimes to good effect, and sometimes not so much. I think it depends on how much chocolate as opposed to cocoa you want to add because adding chocolate will also add fat and possibly sugar--not necessarily a bad thing, but it might alter the structure. What I would probably do is cut back the cocoa a little and add back a similar amount of chocolate. (Like make it 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, and 2-3 ounces of chocolate.) I'd also cut the sugar back a little as well unless the chocolate is unsweetened. But I can't promise you what you'd get. If you want to be perfectly safe, follow a tested recipe.