What kind of cookie can I make without brown sugar?

I'd like to make cookies but I only have white sugar. I was hoping for a chocolate chip - oatmeal cookie, any ideas?

asked by HeviCooks over 6 years ago

Humm...So you have any maple syrup? You might need to adjust and add a tablespoon more of flour to make up for the liquid element.

Pnutsmom

I cup white sugar + one TLBS molasses=brown sugar....stir well.

The molasses in the brown sugar makes the cookies softer and kind of rounds out the flavor. You could try all white sugar, but the cookies will be kind of bland and crisp. Do you have molasses? Or maple syrup? I thought those were both good ideas. They will change the flavor and texture. If you have to use only white sugar, consider adding more aromatics or spices. Please let us know what you do and how it turns out.

HeviCooks

Unfortunately, I have neither molasses nor maple syrup. I do have honey though?

Thirschfeld's sugar cookies have regular sugar and a tablespoon of honey, so that should work. Here's his recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Good luck!

There are many wonderful cookies that don't require brown sugar - just on this site, Cream Cheese Cookies ( http://www.food52.com/recipes... ) and Coconut Jumbles ( http://www.food52.com/recipes... ) come to mind. Unfortunately, for oatmeal or chocolate chip cookies, brown sugar is pretty essential to the flavor.

vvvanessa

Most shortbread, thumbprint, and rolled cookies (which can be refrigerator cookies) don't require brown sugar.

Josh Mitchell

I've made plenty of cookies, chocolate chip, sugar, oatmeal and peanut butter cookies without adding brown sugar, just substitute white sugar for brown. For an example, if the recipe calls for one cup of white and one cup of brown, use two cups of white. So, if you don't have brown sugar and you want cookies, go right ahead, you'll be okay. Yeah, this post is old but, what they heck.