🔕 🔔

What is the difference between whole grain spelt flour and white spelt flour?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

I think it is the same as with regular wheat flour. The whole grain flour is processed with the entire grain, including the germ, and the white flour is just the endosperm (interior) of the grain with the outer husk removed.

When I bake, I use the whole spelt flour. I find that it has better texture and flavor, and holds more moisture, than white spelt flour.

Usually, when I bake with spelt, I use a ratio of between 40-50 percent regular, unbleached all purpose flour to spelt flour. Unless it is something where more texture is a good thing, like pancakes or rustic bread. In that case, I just go for all spelt.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

The whole grain version contains more of the actual berry, whereas the white version the hull has been removed and the grains have been refined more.