🔕 🔔

My banana bread recipe calls for rolled oats but I only have steel cut. What can I do?! Leave them out? Replace with flour? Thank you!!!

This is the recipe I'm working on: http://ohsheglows.com/2016...

Ingredients are:
For the wet ingredients:

1 1/3 cups (320 g) mashed very ripe banana (about 4 medium or 3 large)
2 tablespoons (15 g) ground flaxseed
1/3 cup (60 mL) plant-based milk (I like almond milk)
1/3 cup (60 mL) coconut oil, melted*
2 tablespoons (30 mL) pure maple syrup**
2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
For the dry ingredients:

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (60 g) coconut sugar***
1/2 cup (50 g) rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 cups (210 g) light/white spelt flour or whole-grain spelt flour****
Sliced banana, chopped walnuts, and/or chocolate chips, for topping (optional)

THANKS!!

asked by Doreen דורין 6 months ago

22fd5949 f671 4eca 9819 de5858b39390  img 7382

Rolled and steel are the same except they are cut differently. Use the steel cut. BB

9e7b9960 41ac 4eb6 840a b71d9b1230d0  dsc 2608

I'm curious to hear how BerryBaby's advice turned out. While the 2 types of oatmeal are both oats, the rolled oats are flattened to make them cook faster. It takes a long time to hydrate steel cut oats. I haven't tried baking with steel cut oats, but I think you would end up with hard pieces of oat in your banana bread and that would be unappealing. Grinding the steel cut oats into a flour might be a better way to go if you don't want to make a trip to the store.

C7edb665 f335 4909 8307 aceb41e4b79c  fb avatar

Hi! I didn't have a response fast enough, so I went ahead and just made the recipe without the oats, not substituting anything it's place. I had looked up other banana bread recipes that had about the same proportion of wets to solids without the oats, which is why I felt comfortable doing that.

It was DELICIOUS!!! I had to bake it a bit longer, but it was great. I had the same concern as you after googling the difference between the two oats which is why I decided to just omit.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Doreen - Thank you for posting your results. I'm often curious how Hotline dilemmas are resolved. I have a sudden craving for banana bread.