My banana bread recipe calls for rolled oats but I only have steel cut. What can I do?! Leave them out? Replace with flour? Thank you!!!

This is the recipe I'm working on: http://ohsheglows.com/2016/10/07/vegan-banana-bread/

Ingredients are:
For the wet ingredients:

1 1/3 cups (320 g) mashed very ripe banana (about 4 medium or 3 large)
2 tablespoons (15 g) ground flaxseed
1/3 cup (60 mL) plant-based milk (I like almond milk)
1/3 cup (60 mL) coconut oil, melted*
2 tablespoons (30 mL) pure maple syrup**
2 teaspoons (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
For the dry ingredients:

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (60 g) coconut sugar***
1/2 cup (50 g) rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 cups (210 g) light/white spelt flour or whole-grain spelt flour****
Sliced banana, chopped walnuts, and/or chocolate chips, for topping (optional)

THANKS!!

asked by Doreen דורין over 1 year ago

Rolled and steel are the same except they are cut differently. Use the steel cut. BB

Nancy W

I'm curious to hear how BerryBaby's advice turned out. While the 2 types of oatmeal are both oats, the rolled oats are flattened to make them cook faster. It takes a long time to hydrate steel cut oats. I haven't tried baking with steel cut oats, but I think you would end up with hard pieces of oat in your banana bread and that would be unappealing. Grinding the steel cut oats into a flour might be a better way to go if you don't want to make a trip to the store.

Doreen דורין

Hi! I didn't have a response fast enough, so I went ahead and just made the recipe without the oats, not substituting anything it's place. I had looked up other banana bread recipes that had about the same proportion of wets to solids without the oats, which is why I felt comfortable doing that.

It was DELICIOUS!!! I had to bake it a bit longer, but it was great. I had the same concern as you after googling the difference between the two oats which is why I decided to just omit.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Doreen - Thank you for posting your results. I'm often curious how Hotline dilemmas are resolved. I have a sudden craving for banana bread.