What is this mysterious culinary tool?

785185f7 7cb3 48e7 9036 66977aca3bbf  photo

A friend of mine was availing herself of various and sundry kitchen do-dads (I scored a fantastic cleaver and some vicious looking butchering knives) and we found this in the pile. Its about the size of a pair of scissors, and is spring loaded and adjustable. It was suggested that perhaps its a pie edger, but that action seemed very awkward, unless its the elusive left handed pie edger that novice cooks are often sent to find their first week on the job.

asked by Aliwaks over 6 years ago

Mr_Vittles

It sounds like gardening shears. Are you sure its for the kitchen?

Can you post a photo?

My mother used to have a poultry shear that sounds like your description (i.e., scissor made to cut through bones to cut up a chicken, duck...)

sounds like my poultry shears. but it would be helpful to see a photo.

Aliwaks

Hey.. nope not poultry shears its not very sharp and the bottom is very spoon-like

Aliwaks

Ahh sorry I thought I put the photo up.

Ah, okay - now that I see the picture, definitely not poultry shears.

I'm stumped. Looks more like some kind of serving implement maybe?

Does the top half of the "scissors" have a sharp edge? If so, wondering if it's for cracking lobster claws -- since the top half seems designed to look like a lobster claw.

Yes, I agree it is for cracking lobster claws.

Aliwaks

YES, it does have a sharp! Amanda you may have figured it out, so you'd stick the spoon part on to the claw and press down to crack the shell, then slide the meat out with the spoon-y thing....I kept thinking the wavy edge had a function, but maybe its just decorative

The wavy edge may be decorative (resembles lobster claw) but also functional - since it's pointed, maybe you use it like a pick, to dig in and extract the claw meat. The wavy shape could make it a little easier to shimmy it in and maneuver it around.

Quite a contraption.

Go get a lobster and try it out!

Aimless

It might also be a clam opener. I have one something like that, called a Clam Ram, which i bought after seeing it on Food 52.

A "Clam Ram?" I'd buy that for the name alone!!!