🔕 🔔

Taste of Italy for nursery schoolers?

My son's nursery school hosts an annual International Day, and I'm manning the Italy table. In addition to making Italian flags together, I need to provide them an "authentic" snack but one that is nut-free and low in sugar. I could do a basic pizza but thought I might try to be a bit more creative with the kiddos. Thoughts? It needs to be something that can be left out as the morning runs for two hours. Also something that doesn't require silverware would be great. There will probably be 50 or so children coming though...Many thanks!

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

How about Zepploes?

AARGH, I meant Zeppoles..

How about Arancini with a basic risotto recipe. They can be made small for little hands, and in Italy they sit out room temperature all afternoon.

Other finger food that comes to mind -- meatballs, cauliflower fritters, calzones. Or you could always get tiny tin foil cups and make little servings of eggplant parm (or eggplant involini) or bake some other type of pasta or lasagna in the cups. Another option might be to make different types of fritata's and cut them in pizza-shaped bites to try. Sounds like a fun learning experience!

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Little meatballs would be adorable!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

At that age, my kids were especially fond of ravioli and tortellini - a fun shape had a lot of appeal. Or, maybe some kind of panini, cut into quarters, or fritatta in bite-size pieces. But I'd stick to generally young child-friendly ingredients - I never assumed that because my kid might like, e.g., mushrooms, all nursery aged kids did.

7c4e3778 a9ef 4b22 a4b5 bb759212c530  dsc 6356

I go with amysarah for paninis, you can make them ahead and pack them also..how about some panini with grilled apples with honey-lemon-rosemary dip. It will be low in sugar, no nuts and easy to serve.

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

thank you all so much! what wonderful, creative, non-pizza ideas!!! many thanks!!!

32fb3935 151a 4db2 ac26 980d4c0d5cea  lorigoldsby

What about a caprese skewer? 1/2 or 1/4 of a cherry tomato, a mini mozzarella ball and a basil leaf...and bonus... It's the colors of the flag!