ISO a low glycemic, cane sugar-free AND gluten-free birthday treat recipe

I'm also allergic to and can not cook with nuts (peanuts and all tree nuts, but seeds, pine nuts -which are seeds- and coconut are OK), chocolate or berries, so please avoid them as well.

Also, if possible avoid weird gluten-free flour alternatives. This is for a friend and I don't want to have to buy lots of one-off ingredients.

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

I have no idea of the glycemic index of this recipe, but for the most part it meets your needs and is quite delicious. It does call for vanilla sugar, but you could substitute date sugar. The atypical flours can often be found in the bulk section, so you wouldn't have to purchase more than you need.

Meringues with fresh fruit -- look for a minimum sugar recipe. I would avoid any kind of flour because they are all glycemic minefields -- with the possible exception of quinoa or amaranth, because of the high protein content.
How about a melon with lime juice (and crushed chilis, if that's an option)?

beyondcelery

I haven't tried this, but you could probably substitute coconut sugar for the vanilla sugar in the Coconut-Lemon Macaroons. I believe that's a low-glycemic sugar and its texture seems similar enough to the vanilla sugar to work. HLA's suggestion for date sugar is a good idea as well. Good luck!

FYI, date sugar is made of dried, granulated dates. It is not a refined sugar.