🔕 🔔

How long do u cook a baked potato?

asked by Leeana over 5 years ago

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

depends on the type of potato and the size, I think....I usually wash it, prick the skin a few times, and stick it in at 375 (or 350 or 400...depends on what else I'm cooking -- we only have one oven) and I start checking it at about 40 minutes. I haven't had very many potatoes actually done that quickly, but I just check every so often until it's to where I want it. Sorry. As I'm looking back over my response it's a lot of "you know, cook it for some time at some temperature until done" and not super helpful!

I cook a medium-sized potato (approximately 7 oz) at 450 for approximately one hour, but start checking at 45 minutes. I prep it the same way as MTMitchell.

I usually check it by giving a squeeze and see if it is soft, but to really check, see if a knife tip will slide in easily about half way. I do about an hour too.

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

I would only add that in addition to scrubbing and pricking with a fork, I also rub the skin with EVOO. I always eat the skin and this makes it so much better.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I give it a two min head start in the microwave. Quicker and better use of power. Then, finish in the oven at400 for 20-30mins with olive and salt. Microwave part of cooking is just really just getting the potato up to temp.

B69e74f7 1a53 49bb a601 cb90724b17dd  img 3633 copy 2 1

I use Sam's method as well and achieve the same result as baking the full time in the oven. I prefer slather mine in butter and wrap in aluminum foil before putting in the oven. ;-)

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I rub it with olive oil, a sprinkle of coarse sea salt and put in a 400-450F oven. Depending on size I pierce with a sharp knife to feel how soft (cooked) it is, then pull out and let rest for a few minutes. I am speaking of russet baking potatoes.

If you are health conscious use 0 fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, a sprinkle of fresh coarse pepper, sea salt and chopped scallion.

(why do restaurants offer "chive" when it is really green onion?)