A question about a recipe: Aztec Two Step Coffee Cake

4a7f6073 cc0d 11e5 a38a 3c15c2d2bb38  40 full

I have a question about the ingredient "piece Ancho chile (dried, remove seeds)" on the recipe "Aztec Two Step Coffee Cake" from susan g. I have some ancho chile powder. What is the volume measure for a one inch piece of the dried ancho chile once it is ground?

asked by Ksjoyce over 6 years ago

sfmiller

It's pretty small.

Ballpark estimates: One large ancho = a teaspoon or a little less, ground. A one-inch piece = maybe one-fifth of a chile. So, somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 teaspoon.

I'd go with a big pinch and call it a day, myself.

I would agree that a teaspoon is about right.

LE BEC FIN

whatever you do, add some, finish combining your batter, and taste. you may want more of it or other seasonings.

The amount of ancho I used does not give a 'hot' taste, more of an enhancing, marrying effect on the other spices. Since it will be powdered, your powder will be fine -- I'd guess 1/4 tsp, or more.