🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Aztec Two Step Coffee Cake

4a793314 cc0d 11e5 95d7 3c15c2d2bb38  39 full

I have a question about the ingredient "piece Ancho chile (dried, remove seeds)" on the recipe "Aztec Two Step Coffee Cake" from susan g. I have some ancho chile powder. What is the volume measure for a one inch piece of the dried ancho chile once it is ground?

asked by Ksjoyce over 5 years ago

It's pretty small.

Ballpark estimates: One large ancho = a teaspoon or a little less, ground. A one-inch piece = maybe one-fifth of a chile. So, somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 teaspoon.

I'd go with a big pinch and call it a day, myself.

I would agree that a teaspoon is about right.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

whatever you do, add some, finish combining your batter, and taste. you may want more of it or other seasonings.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

The amount of ancho I used does not give a 'hot' taste, more of an enhancing, marrying effect on the other spices. Since it will be powdered, your powder will be fine -- I'd guess 1/4 tsp, or more.