can you replace lamb with beef and tomatoe with marinara sauce?

03392cba 7860 453b 9758 ee8e146203b0  012610f 900

I have a question about the recipe "Pastitsio" from TheRunawaySpoon.

asked by merritt over 6 years ago

You can definitely replace the lamb with beef but I'd probably stick to the tomato.

TheRunawaySpoon

Those substitutions would really change the flavor of the dish, giving it more of an Italian taste than the unique Greek flavor. Substituting beef isn't such a big deal, but using marinara suce would take it in a really different direction.

I've made this with both beef and lamb, and IMO lamb is tastier, but beef is good. I was told by a woman of Greek heritage that it's the best pastitsio she's ever had. Stick with the tomatoes!