🔕 🔔

black eyed peas!

I messed up big time and forgot to soak BEP overnight for a meal that needs to be ready in a few hours. recipe calls for them to be cooked low for 80 minutes. do i need to adjust cooking time if using canned?

asked by stuffthings over 5 years ago

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

yes! if the recipe calls for dried, the cooking time should be drastically reduced, I would imagine, as the beans are basically already cooked and all you'll be doing is essentially flavoring them.

5898788c 7208 4473 a88f a3f4bbe64a0b  img 1339

No worries! Just rinse and cook dry black-eyed peas using cold water. Cover the pot and cook for about 25 minutes over medium heat, periodically checking for desired done-ness. Salt after the peas are drained. Salting while they are being cooked makes them dull.

Ife

Im west African so I use a lot of bep in my cooking. I boil the beans with seasoned water or broth with a 2:1 water/broth and bean ratio. I boil it on high for about fifteen minutes, stirring all the while, after fifteen minutes I turn the heat down and add more water or drain water if necessary. All in all it takes about 30 minutes. Good luck!

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I prefer frozen BEP for cooking ease. One big mistake I made with dried peas was not sorting them out, I was used to using "China Girl" brand which is mostly rock free. (I say mostly because in any dried pea, you might get rocks). Well, I got a off brand and it was full of little rocks. So, no matter what brand of dried peas you use, be sure to put them on a sheet pan and pick over the rocks and stones that might be in there.