Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

How short to soak beans?

What's the shortest time I can safely soak black eye peas and romano beans (soaked and cooked separately) before cooking? I'll be boiling them till mushy for fermenting a sweet (6 week) miso paste as per the recipe in The Art of Fermentation by Katz.

I put them to soak a couple of hours ago, but a friend just phoned telling me that a bunch of people are coming to spend the day at my house tomorrow and I need to have everything cleaned up. I don't really want to leave them soaking till the next day - mostly because I don't have enough bowls to do both soaking and hosting. I would like to get the beans at least cooked today, but I worry about not soaking them enough. Could you let me know what is the shortest soaking time for these beans?

Also, what is the horrible thing that happens if you don't soak the beans enough?

I really should get these people to give me more than a days notice before scheduling my life... ah well, something to work on after I get the house cleaned up.

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked about 3 years ago
84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Lots of people don't soak their beans at all. They'll just take longer to cook.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

here are some valid points on why soaking is a good thing to do... http://missvickie.com/howto...

I always soak beans myself, but I've wondered whether it's just because I'm a curmudgeon. There's no universal agreement on soaking, and Food52's addressed the issue! http://food52.com/blog...

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Neat article. Interesting it says " another way to break down oligosaccharides is to add a strip of kombu to your beans as they cook. This dried sea vegetable contains the enzyme needed to properly digest oligosaccharides. It will also add vitamins, minerals, and a hint of umami to your pot of beans." I've read somewhere recently (book of miso?) that it's traditional to add kmobu to the soaking and cooking liquid for miso beans.

trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for the help guys. Finished cooking the black eye 'peas' and now on to the romano beans. I soaked the romano longer because they seemed dryer/older than the 'peas'. Normally, I would just cook the larger beans, and add the smaller beans partway through.

Now, time to make some soy-free miso paste! Yummy!