We asked for recipes that tell a part of your story. Read them here! »
🔕 🔔

Refrigerating rugelach dough

Why is it necessary to refrigerate rugelach dough? I see this in a lot of recipes online, and yet the recipe I jotted down from a very sweet, 80-ish year old Jewish baker (which includes butter and cream cheese) did not mentionany refrigeration.

asked by passifloraedulis almost 5 years ago

Rugelach dough is a very soft, sticky dough. Refrigerating the dough prior to rolling it out will facilitate the rolling (and relax the gluten which will also help). Chilling the already rolled crescents is also advisable as it will prevent them from spreading during baking.

56b48364 dfd3 46a3 8a88 e67ea8656ecc  closeuo tossing salad for food 52 photo

It is also important to chill rugelach dough prior to rolling it out because it will help to maintain the crescent shape. Most recipes call for a good amount of butter in the dough. A cool room temperature, cold work surface, and chilled dough will all aid in the handling of the dough.