A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS. 50 UNDER $50. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

Yeast vs. Cream Cheese in Rugelach

I'm trying to decide between a yeast or cream cheese dough. Will yeast dough produce a cookie or flaky texture? Or is it more about the layering of the dough into a box (a la croissant) that produces the flaky result and yeast v. cream cheese doesn't matter? Also, for anyone who's tried both sour cream and cream cheese doughs, any difference and if so, why the preference?

asked by NakedBeet about 4 years ago

I don't care for a yeast dough at all for rugulach. It makes it more like a danish than a cookie. I love the richness and the flakiness of the cream cheese dough. Hmmmm never made rugulach with sour cream, but why not? You might have to use more flour. Sour cream is more liquidy.

5861b4ad 965e 4a67 9c9c 76c273534f33  img 0001

I always use for Rugelach a very easy to make and especially to rollout pastry dough:
2 ½ to3 cups of AP flour (spoon and level method)
200 gram cold unsalted butter or good quality margarine cut in small cubes
2 egg yolks
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
200 gram cold sour cream
Start with 2 ½ cups flour; add butter, yolks, salt and sugar.
Using just a butter knife, chop all together until it looks like coarse meal; then add sour cream and gather into a ball. If you fill that more flour is needed, add it little by little but make sure the dough is still soft; the dough will firm up in the refrigerator. Chill not less then 2 hours or overnight.
This is a full proof recipe from the Old Country, which is the best for all kind of sweet and savory pies, strudels tarts and Rugelach.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I love the richness and slight tang of cream cheese dough in rugelach - perfect foil for the sweetness of the filling, whether apricot and/or walnuts, or chocolate, or whatever. I've never made them with sour cream, but it seems like it would work too. I also don't think of a yeast dough as the texture of a classic rugelach....at least the ones I grew up with.

A9a4b5a8 c8a5 45de bfda 445662f02fec  picture 2

Amysarah, like Kukla, my grandmother used to make a sour cream rugelach and I just can't get my hands on her recipe yet. From what I've read on the internets all day long today, the yeast version is probably better for a kosher/pareve household as it doesn't require dairy in it. And the cream cheese version is what happened when rugelach came from the old country (Germany, Hungary, Russia, etc..) to America. In the same vein, I'm guessing sour cream existed back there and cream cheese did not.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Flakiness in dough is predominantly determined by two factors: gluten development (or lack thereof) and laminations (layering of fat and dough). Cream cheese would produce a more tender/flaky product because less handling is required - yeast needs time to proof and rise in order to have any effect, and yields a more bready result.

Cream cheese vs yeast rugelach is like the difference between puff pastry and croissant dough - both are laminated doughs, and thus have layers, but the process for making a croissant yeast dough requires light kneading and proofing, thus developing gluten.

56b48364 dfd3 46a3 8a88 e67ea8656ecc  closeuo tossing salad for food 52 photo

I use a cream cheese and butter dough. It makes a wonderfully flaky rugelach which I sold to Dean and DeLuca's for many years.

I prefer the yeast version, which I actually believe is also more traditional. But again, this is a taste preference, and comparing the yeasted version to a mini danish is not necessarily a bad call.