🔕 🔔

How to cook Nilgai?

How do I cook this stuff? A fabulous friend of mine gave me an entire shoulder of Nilgai (the cutting-up process is another story). For those of you unaware, Nilgai is a type of antelope. So, it's very lean, very clean, 100% organic protein. A meat-eater's nirvana, and I do not want to ruin it. Google produces everything from "cook the heck out of it" to "soak it in milk to kill the taste" to "eat it almost-raw rare". I'm looking for some thing COOL. Any ideas? I have Nilgai steaks, Nilgai medallions, stew meat, and strips. Based on the recipes I see being posted and saved, my guess is that some of the best cooks on the net are on this site, and I just KNOW someone out there has a fabulous answer for me - so I can invite my generous friend and his lovely wife over for a Nilgai feast! Help!

Treat it as you would buffalo or grass fed beef. The simpler the preparation the more you'll enjoy it's natural flavor. Grilled and served a la forrestiere, (like the hunter). With lots of herbs, mushrooms etc (like you might find on the forest floor). If you've got the bones, roast them and make stock. The inspiration is up to you. Are your friends from Montana or Mauritania? You can expand their palate either way. Look up poele' for the medallions. French cooking term. Should have a wonderful outcome. If all the meat is from the shoulder though you probably should marinate it first. That cut of meat usually requires a bit of tenderizing

C6b81eff a48c 43bf 8ccc c8643f0a7951  img 0138

@RadioGastronomy told us about a Frontier Beer Stew they made with Pumpkin, Poblano, Purple Corn, & Antelope Dumplings. You can find the recipe here: http://radiogastronomy.... Let us know how you decide to prepare it!