What is the BEST vanilla cake?

My son wants a vanilla dumptruck cake for his birthday tomorrow. I've got the pan, and I've got a few recipes in mind, but if you have an exceptional one, please share. I want one that is redolent of vanilla, where it's the main star.

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Without a doubt, sdebrango's Tender Yellow Cake:

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

That is lovely too! I went with smittenkitchen's recipe but thank you so much for your help!

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Add your answer here

ATG117

I'm wondering how you like the smitten kitchen recipe. I made it once and found it came out dry/browned too quickly. I'm still on the hunt for a moist and perfect yellow/vanilla cake recipe.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

While the batter was delicious, I was definitely underwhelmed by the finished product. It was a little dry and despite the amount of vanilla (and I steeped a vanilla bean in the buttermilk), the taste of vanilla was overwhelmed by the frosting. Let me know if you find a great recipe!!

ATG117

Always good to know it's not just me. I made the recipe from Baked a few weeks ago, and it also came out dry, though I also may have overcooked it due to the cooking time listed. I think I'll be making sdebrango's tender yellow next week--the oil called for seems promising to me. I will definitely post back with the results.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Oh yes, please do post the results. sdebrango is a good cook and creamtea suggested her yellow cake so... my fave choc cake recipe uses oil and it is just beyond light and wonderful. good luck!