🔕 🔔

What is Thai white pepper?

I have a recipe that calls for Thai white pepper. I have regular white pepper. Can I just use regular white pepper, or is there a flavor difference?

asked by Darlene Carrigan over 5 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Yes just white pepper.

In Asian cooking. I'm a big fan of Sansyo, Japaneese white pepper. Which might the same thing for 'thai' white pepper.

White pepper is hot, which goes with the thai cooking recipes. So, I would guess that normal 'white pepper' is what intended. (use in small amounts IMHO).
The Sansyo is both hot and numbing, it's from the same plant as schezuan peppercorns, but much milder. It's not as hot in flavor as common white pepper.

And this is why we experiment and explore. Adjust recipes to your tastes and flavors.

Thanks Sam1148! Chicken in marinating in fridge as we speak. Gai Yang (Thai grilled chicken) for dinner tonight.