🔕 🔔

Oven-baked "fries"

I'm visiting my parents and am planning on making oven baked "fries" tonight. Anyone have a fool-proof method? I'm going to have to use good old russet/Idaho potatoes. Thanks in advance!

asked by MTMitchell over 5 years ago

If you par boil the potatoes then cut them into wedges with the skin on drizzle with oil and bake they will be crisp just season them as soon as they come out of the oven

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

Great -- thanks!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Hot oven! Maybe 400F.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I think it helps the flavor if you soak the wedges in hot, salty water for about 20-30 minutes before baking. Dry well on paper towel, then toss with oil and s&p so they're well coated (I do it right on the baking sheet.) Hot oven (400-425) and turn once halfway through. Also, don't cut the wedges too thick so they cook through inside by the time they're brown and crispy.

These ideas worked beautifully! Parboiled them in salty water, they sat for a little while, cut then into not too far wedges, oil, salt and pepper, 425 for 35 minutes with a flip. They were great and my parents loved them. Thank you all.