Can I bake hashbrowns in the oven instead of frying on the stove?

wssmom

I usually finish my hash browns in the oven. In an oven-rpoof skillet, saute some onions in a little bacon fat, add shredded potatoes, some chopped thyme, salt and pepper, and after it gets browned on the bottom, turn it and finish in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.

Here is a recipe for oven baked hashbrowns http://www.bonappetit.com... The secret to great hash browns is squeezing out the water from the potatoes after they are grated and before cooking. I use a cotton kitchen towel, placing the hashbrowns in the middle, rolling them in the towel and wringing them dry.