Baking root vegetable latkes?

I've baked potato latkes before, and although they were not as crispy than their fried counterpart, I still found the texture to have a suitable crunch. I am nervous that because of the higher water content of root vegetables like parsnips and carrots, baking rather than frying could prevent crisping. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am going to salt & ring out the shredded veggies in advance, but I'm not sure if this is enough. Thanks Food52 members!!!

Monita December 2, 2012

Ringing out the water is very important. I would also bake at 425 or 450 depending on how thick your latkes are.

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby December 2, 2012

Also...if you have a baking stone...that will help crisp up the latkes

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon December 2, 2012

Have your pan in the oven heating to the oven's temperature. Then add your fat/oil of choice. When all is superhot, add yor dollops/mixture. This way, although you are "baking," you mimic "sauteeeing/frying" in that your heat source is truly hot. Waiting for these 3 things to get to the same temperature might result in a less crispy crisp.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon December 2, 2012

p.s. I suggest enamel cast iron or cast iron or the heaviest stainless steel saute pan you have. The better the conductor of heat, the better the end result.