Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

If I don't get a good seal when I can my jam can I just boil the jar a second time? Also if I press the top in and it stays, is that sealed?

asked by Hagerty over 4 years ago
Wholefoods user icon

If you're pressing down and the lid is not bouncing back, you've got a good seal. You may have to wait to the jars to cool completely after cooking to have the vacuum action work as well, so be patient!

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

To the first part of your question, if when you can your jam a jar doesn't seal take the jam out of the jar and put it in a clean, sterilized jar, with a clean lip. Also put on a new lid under the ring. Check the old jar and see if it has a chip in the lip. Or perhaps it didn't seal because the lip was dirty.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

SKK is right. The usual reason for a non-seal is a bit of jam on the lip of the jar. A canning funnel helps prevent this, along with careful wiping of the rim and threads with a damp towel before screwing on the lid. And, tempting as it may be, never press on the lid; let it seal by itself. You can always refrigerate a jat that doesn't seal, or even freeze the jam.

For your first question...No, you can't just re-boil it. If the lid does not seal, check the jar lip for cracks. If all is well with the jar, wipe down the lip of the jar, get a new lid and re-process the jar.

The second question: yes, when the lid stays pressed. It's sealed, though when it doubt, leave that particular jar in the fridge and use it up first.