🔕 🔔

First attempt at canning! Tilted jars about 30 degrees when pulling out of water. If a seal forms, is it reliable?

Hello all,

As the title says, this is my first attempt at canning (peach jam), and everything was going swimmingly until it came time for me to remove the jars from the boiling water bath. I pulled them out rather haphazardly, at a slight tilt, and am now worried that I may have compromised whatever seal has formed. After extensive online searching, I know now to keep the jars completely upright, and being a crazed food safety nut, I am seriously considering processing them. Canning experts: please tell me, am I being paranoid or just careful enough? Thanks to all you wise souls!

asked by sooj over 1 year ago

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I've been canning for years, and I believe you're all good. If the lids "pinged shut" after you removed the jars from the water bath (by which I mean they formed vacuum seals and are now completely concave) you're fine. Test a jar by unscrewing the band and seeing what happens when you lift the jar by the lid alone. You will be able to lift a well-sealed jar without problem. If the lid comes off, that jar is not shelf-stable. Put it in your fridge and eat in the coming weeks!
I think you're good to go. Enjoy!

09ff52d9 2ffb 49d6 84b7 3a81c1edb2d7  image

Yep. A seal is a seal. I too have been canning for years and being short, I doubt I've ever pulled a jar out od my canner vertical. In fact I've never encountered that 'rule' in all my years of reading canning books, USDA manuals, etc.