I'm about to try my first meringues. Any tips before I start ?

asked by @roottoot2 over 6 years ago

Yes! Make sure there's not a speck of egg yolk in the egg whites. Beat them with a pinch of kosher salt. They'll beat up faster and hold their shape better. (some people use cream of tartar, but I don't like the taste.). When you're baking them, what you're actually doing is drying them, so a long time in a low oven will prevent them from browning. Here's the recipe I've been using for years. http://food52.com/recipes...

My current oven is temperamental, so instead of turning the oven off, I leave it on its lowest setting for 3 hours.

Have fun! If your friends are like mine, they will be begging you to make them again and again.

roottoot

Thank you!!!

BoulderGalinTokyo

Hope for good weather. RAIN-- That's my biggest problem here. Humidity makes the drying time so much longer. I'm with Drbabs, I don't like cream of tartar either.

Yes, definitely make the macarons on a day with low humidity. To get a crisp exterior, the macarons must dry before baking, and if you have high humidity, they won't dry enough to spring feet and a crisp coating.