🔕 🔔

I'm about to try my first meringues. Any tips before I start ?

asked by @roottoot2 over 5 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Yes! Make sure there's not a speck of egg yolk in the egg whites. Beat them with a pinch of kosher salt. They'll beat up faster and hold their shape better. (some people use cream of tartar, but I don't like the taste.). When you're baking them, what you're actually doing is drying them, so a long time in a low oven will prevent them from browning. Here's the recipe I've been using for years. http://food52.com/recipes...

My current oven is temperamental, so instead of turning the oven off, I leave it on its lowest setting for 3 hours.

Have fun! If your friends are like mine, they will be begging you to make them again and again.

Thank you!!!

C1aa93d7 c7a4 4560 aa6d 6dca74cc98ca  smokin tokyo

Hope for good weather. RAIN-- That's my biggest problem here. Humidity makes the drying time so much longer. I'm with Drbabs, I don't like cream of tartar either.

Yes, definitely make the macarons on a day with low humidity. To get a crisp exterior, the macarons must dry before baking, and if you have high humidity, they won't dry enough to spring feet and a crisp coating.