Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Can you freeze chickpeas?

Drowning in garbanzos -- already made hummus, chickpea salad, need to stash some away -- do they freeze well?

asked by alasully almost 5 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I would think so - especially if you can get them air-tight. Are they fresh or dry / cooked? I know hummus freezes well if you want to make more and freeze that.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Kind of -- they will be slightly mushier when defrosted. So, if you plan to defrost and use in more hummus -- no problem. Frankly, should work in just about anything, but the more you expect the chickpea to standout by itself (like a salad) the more likely you are to notice the texture is just a bit mushier. Freezing is still a great idea for your situation - just be mindful about your intended use after defrosting.

Freeze em no problem. I place in single layer on baking sheet first and then place in zip lock freezer bag once solid. This prevents then from sticking together into big icy lumps.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.