🔕 🔔

Can you freeze chickpeas?

Drowning in garbanzos -- already made hummus, chickpea salad, need to stash some away -- do they freeze well?

asked by alasully about 6 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I would think so - especially if you can get them air-tight. Are they fresh or dry / cooked? I know hummus freezes well if you want to make more and freeze that.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Kind of -- they will be slightly mushier when defrosted. So, if you plan to defrost and use in more hummus -- no problem. Frankly, should work in just about anything, but the more you expect the chickpea to standout by itself (like a salad) the more likely you are to notice the texture is just a bit mushier. Freezing is still a great idea for your situation - just be mindful about your intended use after defrosting.

Freeze em no problem. I place in single layer on baking sheet first and then place in zip lock freezer bag once solid. This prevents then from sticking together into big icy lumps.